Subject: Re: [Leica] How does this Focomat 1c enlarger work?
From: Ken Benderly <benderly@vcd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:44:42 -0800

One more question:  what are the curly pieces of sheet metal to either side of
the head for?  It looks like a place to keep your extra long negative strip
curled up.

> From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
>
> That would be the Focotar, and indeed it should Yours may require a spacer.
> You'll know if it won't focus.

I got it to focus last night, although it wasn't autofocus.  I'll have to zero
in on the global minimum (autofocus) by adjusting the column height, fine focus
knob, and the cam setting.  I'll eventually get it, and then I'll be smiling :)

> It sounds like you've figured it out yourself. The neg carrier is
> glassless. The glass bottom of the condenser rests on top of the negative,
> flattening it. The round textured glass is your anti-newton ring. It should
> fit snugly onto the bottom of the condenser, and thus it lies against the
> negative. Clean it well, place it on the condenser, and forget about it.
>
> The silver lever raises and lowers the condenser just enough to allow you
> to remove the negative or insert it. Lower it before focusing and
> proceeding to print.

With the anit-newton ring on there, the condenser barely clears the negative
with the lever all the way back.  Is this correct, or do I need to put the ring
on a bit more snug?

> Well, Ken, most people buy an easel. You can spend little on a cheap one or
> a lot on a good one. If you do much darkroom work, you'll want a good one
> with four blades to give yourself maximum flexibility. For autofocus
> function the Ic is designed for a one-inch thick easel. However, this is
> not mandatory. You can adjust the autofocus to work with a thin easel. But
> the autofocus isn't a must item for me. Really. This may be heretical to
> some, but the fine focusing is so easy you won't miss autofocus. Leitz made
> a clamping easel, 8x10 with 2 adjustable blades, that sells for a lot of
> money. I wouldn't waste my time with it. Get a Saunders or similar easel.

Recommendations for a solid easel would be highly appreciated.  The easels they
had at school were so crappy, I always used the speed (nonadjustable) easels.

> From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
>
> Great information, Bill, for a great enlarger. Ken should be well on his
> way to some fine printing experience.
>
> I have a question, tho - has anyone seen a carrier for the 1c that holds a
> mounted 35mm slide?
>
> I am looking to revive my beautiful 1c soon with a customized dichro head
> with 300 watt bulb that will interchange with both the 1c and my Omega D3.
> As soon as the deal is completed, I should have a very fine V35 for sale.

If you get this info Gary, please pass it on.

Thanks for the info guys!

ken