Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Leica Stigma
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:27:43 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:
SNIP

> I also have also felt that people who walk around with emblazoned brand
> names must be in advertising and have that particular account or be race
> car drivers or basketball players. I love the company but I don't owe
> them a personal endorsement

My dissatisfaction with the red dot and, indeed, the Leica name being
plastered on the front of the M6, stems  from comparison to older
models. The LTM bodies had the name engraved on the top. The early M
series had the name engraved on the top. This was fine. It was subtle,
tasteful and as Mark indicated was not an overt attempt at marketing. I
would have no problem if Leica put the red dot on top. I just don't
think that I should be proclaiming what type of equipment I'm using. I
don't wear shirts with little horses on them. Or shoes with Nike
swooshes. Or anything else that gratuitously proclaims my buying
tendencies.

Thought I'd add my two cents worth now that this thread has once again
been revived. Ad infinitum.

Carl Socolow