Subject: Re: [Leica] How does this Focomat 1c enlarger work?
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:31:13 -0500

Ken wrote:

>I got my focomat 1c yesterday, but I can't quite figure out how it works.
First
>I should mention that it came with a 50/4.5 leitz lens.  This will work,
won't
>it?

That would be the Focotar, and indeed it should Yours may require a spacer.
You'll know if it won't focus.

>One thing that I'm really not sure about is the anti-newton glass stuff.
I had
>assumed that the negative "carrier" would have glass it the hole where the
light
>passes through, and the slab o' glass would sandwich the negative from
above.
>The carrier, more like holder, has an empty hole in it, and the slab o'
glass,
>the condenser lens I assume, comes down and flattens the negative against the
>carrier.  I also noticed a separate piece of glass with an interesting
texture,
>but optically correct, that fits quite nicely on the bottom of the slab o'
glass
>(condenser lens?).  Is this the anti-newton glass?  How does the silver
lever on
>the right work (moves slab up and down)?

It sounds like you've figured it out yourself. The neg carrier is
glassless. The glass bottom of the condenser rests on top of the negative,
flattening it. The round textured glass is your anti-newton ring. It should
fit snugly onto the bottom of the condenser, and thus it lies against the
negative. Clean it well, place it on the condenser, and forget about it.

The silver lever raises and lowers the condenser just enough to allow you
to remove the negative or insert it. Lower it before focusing and
proceeding to print.

>Assuming I've got the paragraph above correct, how do I focus?  An easel
didn't
>come with the enlarger.  I assume that I've got to dial in the system for the
>easel that I will be using.  What are the steps for this?  Is there a way to
>manually focus?  Is there a manual for this beauty?

Well, Ken, most people buy an easel. You can spend little on a cheap one or
a lot on a good one. If you do much darkroom work, you'll want a good one
with four blades to give yourself maximum flexibility. For autofocus
function the Ic is designed for a one-inch thick easel. However, this is
not mandatory. You can adjust the autofocus to work with a thin easel. But
the autofocus isn't a must item for me. Really. This may be heretical to
some, but the fine focusing is so easy you won't miss autofocus. Leitz made
a clamping easel, 8x10 with 2 adjustable blades, that sells for a lot of
money. I wouldn't waste my time with it. Get a Saunders or similar easel.

You adjust the focus by turning the round silver ring that circles the lens
mount. You'll figure it out. If you cannot bring the image anywhere close
to in focus, you need a spacer between the lens and mount. I forge the
thickness -- Tom A can you help? Tom has a neat suggestion for a
replacement spacer -- a bunch of 39mm ltm filters, with glass removed and
screwed together. Or you can try some of the Leica dealers around the
country, or maybe even Leica USA in NJ.

As for the manual, there are some around. I let mine go when I sold my Ic.
But it won't tell you anything you can't figure out for yourself.

Contact me by private e-mail if you need further help.

Regards,

Bill