Subject: [Leica] Camera Bags
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:45:09 +0100

For the past five years I've used a Domke Reporter's Satchel (F-802) for my
M4-P, two Summies, hand-held meter, and film. After constant use and abuse,
it's
now a bit of a disgrace (good camoflage!) but has treated me very well.

What I like most is that it looks more like a cheap cloth briefcase than a
camera bag -- like something that Lands' End would sell.  Also, I'm a
teacher, so I'm always carrying books and papers, and the Domke has room and
compartments for them along with my Leica.  When it's sitting on my
classroom desk,
or out on the street, no layman would think there's an expensive camera
inside.

My only complaint is that the metal hook at the end of the closing strap can
swing
up and put your eye out real fast when you open the flap to dig out your
camera.  Many times it almost has!  Although the element of danger is
probably, subconsciously, one reason I like the bag, I've now trained myself
get my head out of the way in time.

Yesterday, while shooting in downtown Warsaw, I saw the new(?) Domke Bureau
Chief
Satchel, model F-806, and fell in love with it.  It has TWO closing straps
with hooks on the flap -- one for each eye!  And all kinds of neat
compartments, including a perforated one (for drying your wet socks?).  It
looks
even less like a camera bag than the Reporter does, too.

I would have bought it on the spot but they wanted too many Polish zloties
for it (=$135), so I'll wait til I'm in the US next week.  I later found it
in Shutterbug for $75.  When I get it I can start to fantasize about being a
Bureau Chief, and give myself a promotion from Reporter.

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw, Poland