Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Televid 77
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:06:43 -0500

At 06:37 AM 1999-02-01 +0000, Dan Khong wrote:

>I am sure some of you LUGgers have used a Televid telescope.  I wonder if
>there is any difference in practice between the apo and non-apo models?
>
>I have seen one with the 20-60x zoom eyepiece but am told that the best
>eyepeice is the 20x or 32x for birding.  Since the shop did not have one to
>try out, I wonder if this is true?
>
>Is taking pics possible with the 45 deg. angled scope?  I have a Nikon F90
>a and I wonder if this will fit and meter on the Televid.

I have, and regularly use, a 45-degree APO-Televid with all the available
eyepieces and the camera adapter.

a)  Yes, there is a difference in optical performance between the non-APO
and APO models but whether this is worth the extra freight is a decision
each purchaser has to make.  I use mine for star-gazing and the APO is
probably more helpful there than with bird-watching.  I lucked into a deal
where the APO only cost me around $100 more, but I'd pay a lot more than
that for the incremental improvement in performance.

b)  The 20X - 60X ocular can be avoided unless you just want to have EVERY
eyepiece.  The 20X and 32X WW's are the oculars to buy:  they are
absolutely superb.  The 40X is no slouch, either.  (And, with the R ocular
and the camera mount, a nice 64X can be had, as well.)

c)  Yes, the 45 degree model will take the camera adapter.  There's not
enough back-focus for a VISO rig (the gnashing of teeth can be heard, and
lamentations of great note) but it works fine on every SLR I've tried it
with (mainly, M42 stuff, Praktica BM, and a Contarex).

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!