Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W output from digital devices
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:49:02 -0800

Mikiro M wrote:

> I love grains in B&W (and also in colour).  Will it be possible to visualise
> beautifully distributed grains as you see in the works by Ralph Gibson and
> Michael Kenna, to name a few, with digital devices?  I used to scan my film
> (Neopan 1600 or Tri-X) at 2700 dpi and print it with Fuji Pictrography 3000
> at 400 dpi.  As you imagine, I could see no grains.  Well, I may be
> completely wrong in trying to visualise silver grains with digital devices.
snip
> Mikiro Mori
> Strasbourg, Europe

You know about Man Ray saying Grain is the brushstroke of photography? I
know in some sense the grain particle of the digital world is the pixel
but I know that is now what you have in mind. I am aware of the many
Grain and Noise plug ins, many of them third party and free that are
involved with Photoshop. Though not the intrinsic makeup of the image
the grain and noise potential have its uses. I have fun with them and
would work with your water color look. That's all I know.
Mark Rabiner