Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 winder problems
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 15:57:20 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote

>I saw a book/manual for the R8 this weekend at Camera World in Portland
>Oregon while I was checking out the contax 654. It mentioned the motor
>as if it were a done deal; an available option.

Hi Mark,

Yep that's the way it's been since 1996 when the camera was released, even
the instruction manuals of today with the new camera indicates it's
available.  However, the motor is still a pipe dream until I hear one
singing while attached to my camera.

We who have more than patiently waited with motors on order or purchased
R8's on the supposed delivery of motors back in 1996 should have them given
to us free.  Of course the moon is made of white cream cheese also! :)

I guess the big questions could be,"How many R8 orders have been lost
because the motor wasn't available and or, how many photographers said, "to
hell with the R8 no matter how good it maybe!" then went with Nikon or
Canon instead??

It would be my humble guess this R8 motor thing must be one of the major
screw-ups of marketing and production that Leica have ever encountered.

Any guess out there that there was anything worse to date?
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant