Subject: Re: [Leica] Should the R8 be avoided? (was:R8 woes.)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 06:17:55 +0100

John Hudson wrote:
> What I hear is
> that perhaps the R8 should be avoided.

Well, this seems like a logical conclusion to this thread, no ?

Either the statistical image of unreliability given here really reflects
proportionnaly through the LUG and (very probably) the outer world, and
buying the R8 (and winder) should be considered as a very risky and
frustrating experience.

Or only the unsatisfied have related their experience and we have a
grunty unfounded thread that is potentialy very dangerous for the
reputation of that range.

I, for one, would NOT have bought a R8 last December if this exact same
thread had developped just before I made the purchase.

So, is this founded or unfounded ? Are there only 2 persons on the LUG
who have had a normal, problem free, experience with the R8 ? Could we
initiate a round of calls on user satisfaction, and count the "good" and
the "bad" stories ?

i suggest not to repost the experience itself, simply state one of the
following:

1. Yes, I have had to send back one or more R8 (body nr XXXX, bought in
mm/yy) for fixing of factory induced problems (name problem in 5 words
max).
2. No, I have bever had to send back one of my R8 (body nr XXXX bought
in mm/yy)
3. I have had to send back a R8 due to a user induced incident

Thanks for the input: this just might produce a more 'correct' image of
the situation.

Alan