Subject: Re: [Leica] Should the R8 be avoided? (was:R8 woes.)
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:05:33 EST

I had an R8 for about a year before I sold it.  During the time I had it the
only problems I had were with the PC circuit.  Blew it out twice with my
Speedotrons.  The first time I didn't know better and the second time it was
my fault even though I was using a voltage choking device.  The IB warns of
using flash units with too high a line voltage.  I do think it's ridiculous
that you can't use a "pro" camera with "pro" flash units unless you use a
choke.  The circuitry in the camera should be able to handle these flash
units, as every other R camera I've used from Leicaflex SL through R7 could.
But I also understand other "pro" cameras have the same problems.
I got the winder for the R8 just before I sold it.  Never a problem with it,
and the person I sold the winder to hasn't had a problem with it either
although the finish is flaking off of it.
BTW, one of my friends just showed me his R8 Safari camera.  He painted the
"leatherette" portions on the R8 olive green along with the winder.  I will
reserve my opinion on it as I am always polite!

Bill Rosauer