Subject: RE: [Leica] Younger photographers and Leica rangefinders
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:33:29 -0600

>... as am I. The eye is a much more sensitive instrument than any
>light meter!

This is a strange thing to say. Sure the eye is more sensitive than film,
or most light meters. (I'm sure some scientific instrument that costs
thousands is out there somewhere that is more sensitive). But knowledge of
what light comes from certain subjects is useful to determine exposure.
Such as when Ansel Adams remembered the exposure of the moon, and then went
on to underexpose the foreground of "Moonrise Hernandez." But he normally
relied on a meter. Why? Because as sensitive as the eye is, it's not
calibrated.

A meter will ALWAYS be more accurate than anybody's approximations. Brett
Weston notwithstanding. He's the exception that proves the rule.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Pi R Squared? No Pi R round, Cornbread R Square!