Subject: RE: [Leica] long lens tests
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 17:54:12 -0400

Peter:

I was agreeing with Ted because I knew he was given the Leica 400mm 2.8 to
use during the Olympics.  At a venue like that he would have been able to
make comparisons.  As for me I am stunned with the pictures it produces
when I manage to get them in focus.

About two weeks ago, I took some pictures of a downhill ski race.  It was a
rather quick event and since I didn't scout out the course in advance, I
didn't get many good pictures.  I had never taken sking pictures and this
was a learning process.  They do move quite quickly too.  I scanned a slide
I took which shows some of the properties of this lens shot wide open.
This is a straight scan with no Photoshop manipulations of contrast.  In
this picture the sun is in the upper right corner just out of the frame.  A
perfect spot for flare and even worse with the bright snow adding to it and
the skier in the shade.  Pictures taken from this same position ,but at a
closer skier, panning with a 60mm produced a lot of flare.  This image when
projected or on a light table has a lot of snap to it.  It was shot on AGFA
RSX100 which is probably as far from Velvia when it comes to sharpness and
contrast as you can get, but it looks like it could have been done on Velvia.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/downhill/sl-37-2.jpg

This picture is not supposed to be an example of a good sports picture, but
just the demonstration of the good properties of this lens.  It manages to
get good detail on a skier in the shade with a very bright background and
the sun just out of the frame trying to induce flare.  How it would compare
to the Canon equavalent in these circumstances, I do not know.  I do know
however that the pictures I took with the 35mm Summicron and the 60mm
Elmarit were much more contrasty than my friend had taken at the same time
using his Nikon gear and he was using Fuji Sensia which is much better than
RSX 100 when it comes to contrast and saturarion.

http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/photography/images/downhill/sl-36.jpg

This was one with the Elmarit, with the sun to my back and panning around
1/60th.  Great contrast and colors.

Regards,

Robert