Subject: Re: [Leica] A Kodak moment.
From: "The Beal's" <jbeal@bendnet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 23:01:31 -0800

Jim,
   Kodak also gave me a reason to smile by mailing me a cute little box
with one roll of Black & White +.  Now I know that some others have even
more reason to smile!
   As for the differences between the new Black & White + and the older
(abet, new T400 CN), the Kodak Viewfinder Forum 3(3) had this to say:
"What's different about Kodak black & white + 400 film?
   Like Kodak Professional T-Max b&w film T400 CN and kodak Advantix b&w
+ 400 print film, this new film is a chromogenic film, manufactured with
Kodak's latest color emulsion technology.  The emulsion layers contain
dye couplers balanced to produce tone of black when printed on color
negative papers...
   Many professionals who use the T400 CN film print their negatives on
b&w papers.  Therefore, Kodak designed the film based with less masking
to make printing easier and faster in the dark room.  Because of
differences in masking, T400 CN film gives a sepia balance when printed
on color negative paper in automatic printers that use the channel for
Gold film.  The Advantix film and new b&w + 400 film give a neutral
balance when they're printed in automatic printers...
   Its excellent image structure and Kodak T-Grain emulsions produce
extremely fine grain and high sharpness".

   Seems as though Kodak film emulsions and technology, developed for
the APS format, has made it to 35mm.  Hope this helps answer the
question on differences between Black & White + 400 and T400 CN.

John Beal II
jbeal@bendnet.com