Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film speed
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 08:15:45 EST

Martin:

I am particularly interested in comparing D3200 at ISO 400 with D400 at ISO
400.  My gut feeling is that the quality will suffer but I don't know that
yet.  I also feel that you are correct and I will post my findings.  For
slower films I use Delta 100 and Ilford Pan F.  Also, I am trying some Tech
Pan.

Thank you for responding.

Bob Bedwell

<< It all depends on what effects you're trying to achieve. It is unlikely,
 though I don't know for sure, that Delta 3200 at EI 400 is going to be
 significantly better than, say, Delta 400, HP-5+ or Tri-X, especially
 when taking grain into consideration. I'm no expert, but wouldn't
 contrast suffer too? I seem to remember that, generally, slower films
 exhibit better contrast than faster films.

 However, there are no hard and fast rules in photography. I for one
 would welcome a trial of Delta 3200 at slow speeds, just to hear what
 pictorial qualities it has.

 I don't think, though, that it would function as a replacement for
 slower films, or as a general "use-at-all-EIs" film.

 M. >>