Subject: Re: [Leica] my thoughts on e-mail
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:05:34 +0100

Jim,

Thank you for a great post which I have filed in my Leica folder alongside the
chunks of wisdom from Erwin et al. One should indeed always keep the possibility
of meeting in person in mind and never e-mail something which one would not say
to another person face-to-face. I have now been on the LUG for 10 months, and met
at least 15 LUGgers in person during that time. I note with sadness the decline
in decorum that has occurred during the relatively brief time I have been a
member. The LUG is still by far the most civilized mailing list I have ever
participated in, but less so now than back in April 98 when I first joined.

Nathan

Jim Brick wrote:

SNIP

> At the LUG meeting with Leica at Photokina. At the LUG meeting here in Palo
> Alto. At the other LUG meetings around the globe. Did we talk to each other
> in antagonistic terms? Were we rude? Did we argue beyond the point of no
> return?
>
> No. Never.
>
> We had consequences, consciousness, and faces. Smiling faces. Happy faces.
> Fun faces. We talked and talked, looked at equipment, looked at slides, and
> talked some more. We didn't want to leave.
>
> We talked with our mouths, eyes, and gestures. Not with only our fingers,
> in total isolation.
>
> We should all think about the possibility of meeting each other. When you
> type that next message, imagine having to meet the people you are speaking
> to, after you push send.
>
> Sometimes the best message, is no message at all. And sometimes the best
> response, is no response at all.
>
> Have a great day all,
>
> Jim
>
> PS... my philosophies are quite often self-realized...

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

Photography page:  http://members.tripod.com/~belgiangator/index.html