Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Definition of a Professional
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:08:56 +0100

Byron,

Here it is morning, and I should be writing my articles instead of
writing to the LUG ;-)

The thread is not really related to good photography, or what makes an
artist compared to what makes a dabbler. It is related to the image the
photographers themselves, us, have of the 2 main components of our
world: those or us who are amateurs and those of us who are
professionals.

I define the amateur photographer as a photographer who does not make a
living out of photography. Which inversely defines the professional. I
know, personally, and from what is published, quite a few professional
photographers who sell very very mediocre images. And quite a few
amateurs who show fantastic talent. Check out the photomags: there is
very high quality, in the rich sense of the word, in the world of
amateurs.

The fact that mediocre images are sold and published says a lot about
the current lack of photographic culture, in the public as well as in
the publishing world. The fact that there are prodigiously talented
professional photographers out there, publishing usually in other, more
critical and/or more wealthy publications, is certainly a fact as well.

But the tax form does not guarantee the quality of the image. If the tax
form repeats itself through the years, it might show resilience,
reliability, good contacts, availability, productivity, whatever, before
proving quality. The proof of the pudding is the portfolio.

For the rest, I suppose I agree with your post: one does not produce the
Michelangelo Pieta by chance. OTOH: there are plenty of great works of
art that have been produced by people who made their living with other
activities...

Alan