Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in the future
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 22:11:25 -0500

All,

Rational people must accept scientific measurement as the only
consistent, reliable basis for analyzing and comparing lens performance.
Perhaps science cannot replicate or simulate every real world
photographic situation imaginable. Perhaps those with decades of
practice as shooters tend to rely on those decades, rather than
modulation transfer function graphs. What I know outweighs what I don't.
That's human nature, which is and will forever be flawed.

But at the end of the day, an experienced eye should be able to see, in
practice, what science reveals. Their conclusions should merge. Their
respect for each other's practice should, as well. It is this concensus,
born of mutual respect, which is our best guide to optical performance.

I believe there is ample room for both Erwin's and Eric's views. I pray
they both continue with the respect each deserves.

David W. Almy
Annapolis

P.S. And Eric, the current 28M still beats out the current 28R. Cheers!