Subject: Re: [Leica] Portraits from the Great
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:56:51 -0300

At 02:23 PM 01/03/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Did Karsh show you the proofs?
>Mark Rabiner

        YES!!!  AMAZING!

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!! I held Karsh proofs in my hands today.

Today I was photographing an "elderly" (yes, he was older then Ted) man in a
small Newfoundland town and as I was leaving he says he once had his
portrait made by Karsh many years ago when he was in Ottawa (he was one of
the men who signed the terms of Confederation which saw Newfoundland join
Canada 50 years ago).

He points over my shoulder and I turn to see an unmistakably Karsh portrait
on the wall next to the door. It was beautiful.

My subject, Mr. Winter, then says, "...I think there are a few more here
somewhere", and goes rummaging through his desk... pulling out 6, 8X10
contacted proofs!!!

They were beautiful, too! Mr. Winter pointed out the shot that Karsh
recommended but thought to was to "stern" looking so his wife picked a
different one for printing. Karsh sent back the 11X14 print I was now
looking at.

...an interesting day and one of the pleasant surprises I often find while
on assignment.  Yesterday, I was walking on sea ice 20nm off Cape Bonavista.

Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
St. John's, Newfoundland.
TOUCHED BY FIRE: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
McClelland & Stewart Canada.  ISBN#0-7710-5305-3
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm