Subject: [Leica] Leica zoom lens test
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:47:11 -0400

Peter:
In regards to the Leica Telephoto zooms, you may have mistakenly looked up
the older Leica 70-210 which was Minolta made.  It was a fine lens, but the
new design is much better.  The old 70-210 rated a score of 3.3, while the
newer 80-200 rates at 4.2.  The 4.2 rating is better than Canon's 70-200
2.8 lens and on par with Canon's new 80-200L lens.  It also surpasses the
Nikkors which only rated 4.0.  This would make the Leica a fine performer
even though it is a pretty conservative F4 lens.  Even the older 70-210
Minolta made lens rated pretty high amongst its peers if you exclude the
2.8 lenses.

If the Leica's lowly 80-200 F4 can best or match the best from the
competition, I imagine the 70-180 would probably trounce them with a rating
in the 4.4 to 4.5 range.  If you read Leica's literature, they tend to rate
their lenses in the descriptions.  For example in Leica's latest
literature, they make no mention of the optical qualities of the 28-70, but
say it is easy and pleasant to use.  The description of the 80-200 F4 says
it offers good to very good imaging quality.  While they describe their 100
APO macro as outstanding imaging performance.  This 100 APO macro rated 4.5
at photodo.  All we need is the translation of these terms to a grading scale.

This all brings us back to the validity of ratings compared to use in the
field.  I have seen a series of slides taken in China with the 28-70 that
definately had the Leica look to them.  They were contrasty and sharp, with
great colours.  As I have said before, who needs Velvia, when you have
Leica glass to provide the saturation and contrast?

Regards,

Robert