Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG, Leica culture, lens testing and No BS
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 18:43:29 -0600

>Nikon
>and Canon must be laughing all the way to the bank as they sell zoom after
>zoom
>after zoom at a fracture of that cost while the 70-180 Varios collect dust on
>dealers shelves!

That is certainly a boatload of speculation. I think it's probably selling
very well. There are several in the hands of LUG members, and have been for
some time.

Speculation, yes. But the fact that Leica plans to manufacture just 300 of
the 35-70 f/2.8 lenses (reported and confirmed previously in the LUG)
probably tells us something about how well like lenses sell. I suspect
Leica decided they would turn but 300 of the 35-70 zooms, without
overstocking the  warehouse, based on sales history of R cameras and zoom
lenses.

Larry