Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG, Leica culture, lens testing and No BS
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:50:58 -0600

At 06:43 PM 3/2/99 -0600, you wrote:
>But the fact that Leica plans to manufacture just 300 of
>the 35-70 f/2.8 lenses (reported and confirmed previously in the LUG)

But was it ever confirmed that was the first production run, or the only
production run ever. The Leica system brochure claims it will become a
favorite of R users. That doesn't sound like a limited production lens,
like the first 35 Summilux Aspherical was, when they said from the start it
was limited production in their literature.

Erwin posted on October 31, 1998:
"Actually Leica has a production run of 300 for the Vario 2,8/35-70. It
 stops there unless demand is so strong as to justify a new series."

No doubt, Leica would be thrilled to find their projections low and be
faced with an urgent need to manufacture more of these lenses. But I'd bet
they have based their anticipated demand in large part on past sales of
similar products, including other R zoom lenses.

Larry