Subject: [Leica] Packing materials from Leica NJ
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:59:08 -0600

Boy, its a good thing then that I sent my M4-2 this past week to DAG.  When
I first got my M4-2,  in 1981, it worked fine for a few months, but then had
to go in for a warranty repair.  It came back in a wonderful hard shell
black plastic with red foam box (with appropriate red dots).  From that day
on I have always sent it in that special service shipping box.  That box of
course would go in a paper or peanut lined box, with my repair desires
rubber banded to the box.   It went to DAG with the  special box.

I think Leica has to start thinking about the little things that will please
the nit picking Leica owners.  If you look at the small stuff, the rest will
follow.  Just think if Rolls Royce or Mercedes, treated you like the owner
of a Ford Escort.  I think Leica must look at customer service that
companies such as Saturn bestow upon their customers in the service
department.  I own a Saturn automobile and the service I get from my
retailer is first class all the way.  They  treat me as I would prefer to be
treated.  Granted not all Saturn retailers are the same, but if 90 percent
give service as good as my retailer, I would be more than satisfied.

Treating your expensive Leica gear like what has been described seems to be
industry norm these days.  At work we got some Eos1ns back from service with
wrappings of cardboard around it.  To say the least, I was not happy with
that.  It must be a New Jersey thing as Canons that go to CPS (canon
professional services) in the Garden State.  At least when I get a camera
back from Professional Camera in New York, the body is in a plastic bag,
then wrapped in many layers of newspapers, surrounded by peanuts or other
similar packaging materials, in a box big enough for sufficient padding.  A
little common sense would go miles.

gck