Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica on motorcycle
From: Peter Goldberg <peterg@martinhamblin.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:57:41 -0500

- --------------1B67E8D062C302A5EA0BF662

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Friends,
>
> I am looking forward to meeting some of you at the LHSA Solms Photo
> Shoot in April. I am thinking of riding my motorcycle to the event, as
> the road from Brussels to Solms passes through some of my favourite
> riding territory.
>
> Of course, I want to bring at least a subset of my Leica outfit with me.
> My question is how to transport it safely on a motorcycle. I know some
> of you have experience with this.

Well now, something I CAN comment on with confidence:
I ride a MG Daytona 1000 and a Monster 944 and have undertaken several 3k &
4k trips, with Leica (naturally).

IMHO there are two critical issues to reflect on:

1.    If you are not prepared to simplify, you will never arrive at a
workable solution.  I seriously believe the Leica RF is God's gift to "no
more than you absolutely need to meet any situation".  One body, & two
lenses. If that won't do, forget the motorcycle. & by the way, I think I
would leave the mint collectables at home - just take the users.

2.    The real danger with solid camera equipment lies in the potential
accident.  No accidents - no problems.  The stuff does not fall apart simply
being carried - if it does there is already something seriously wrong with
it.

   * I  carry my stuff in a Cannondale lumbar pack; should I get thrown off
     & land on my back I will be in significant trouble  however that is my
     choice.
   * The only other alternatives are panniers - too difficult to get the
     stuff out of when you need it, & again if you have a drop, just pray it
     will be on the other side -
   * tank bag, just as vulnerable in an accident, besides I detest for what
     they do to my tank,
   *

PS have an accident & probably your cameras are dropping down the list of
priorities anyway

Peterg

"...just an angle on a curve"

- --------------1B67E8D062C302A5EA0BF662

&nbsp;
as
me.

3k &amp; 4k trips, with Leica (naturally).
arrive at a workable solution.&nbsp; I seriously believe the Leica RF is
God's gift to "no more than you absolutely need to meet any situation".&nbsp;
One body, &amp; two lenses. If that won't do, forget the motorcycle. &amp;
by the way, I think I would leave the mint collectables at home - just
take the users.
in the potential accident.&nbsp; No accidents - no problems.&nbsp; The
stuff does not fall apart simply being carried - if it does there is already
something seriously wrong with it.
<ul>
<li>
I&nbsp; carry my stuff in a Cannondale lumbar pack; should I get thrown
off &amp; land on my back I will be in significant trouble&nbsp; however
that is my choice.</li>

<li>
The only other alternatives are panniers - too difficult to get the stuff
out of when you need it, &amp; again if you have a drop, just pray it will
be on the other side -</li>

<li>
tank bag, just as vulnerable in an accident, besides I detest for what
they do to my tank,</li>

<li>
</li>
</ul>
PS have an accident &amp; probably your cameras are dropping down the list
of priorities anyway

- --------------1B67E8D062C302A5EA0BF662--