Subject: Re: [Leica] Fungus -- humidity? or darkness the catalyst?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:23:02 +0000

>Dan:
>
>I want to purchase two dehumidifiers, mount them on the wall, and provide for
>their continuous drainage into my septic system:  can you recommend a
>manufacturer and model?  And, too, what humidifier are you using?
>
>Leon
>LP6@aol.com

Leon,
I hear that dehumidifiers generally work on an evaporative principle.  Some
have silica gel which extracts moisture from the inside cabinet and is
recharge by an electrical heating device.  All sorts of principles.  I am
also told that some models can leak small amounts of water too - maybe
these are the ones that people complain about.

I have a Toyo (Japan) and a Bossmen (Taiwan), both equally good after more
than five years of service.  The latter has two doors and is about 127
liters.  I think someone has already posted the ball park price in Singapore.

As to the question of the safe, I would recommend that the safe is kept in
an air-cond room where the atmosphere is dryer.  Silica gel tends to
exhaust rapidly.  Also invest in a hygrometer which are now made disc
shaped and compact; they sell them at about $25 each.  In my experience,  a
RH of 60% or less will prevent fungal growth.

Dan K.