Subject: [Leica] Terminology and the 2.8/135 Elmarit
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:31:31 -0500

At 04:53 PM 1999-03-15 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Perhaps we should give the world of fast Teles to the Slr people. I
>think of the 75 as a fast very short tele. The 135 focal length is a
>definite tele lens if you're me.

Neither Leitz nor Leica have really liked "telephoto" lenses:  what they
have traditionally produced, for the most part, are "long-focus lenses", at
least for the RF cameras.  A "telephoto" lens is optically compressed:
that is, it is shorter physically than its focal length, while the 2.8/135
or the 2.8/90 ARE that physical length, 135mm and 90mm long.

This was a philosophy which began under Berek in the '30's, as it is far
more challenging to design an optically satisfactory telephoto than a
long-focus lens.  Thus, Zeiss produced their 4/135 telephoto Sonnar while
Leitz produced the 4.5/135 long-focus Hektor.

A minor quibble, but a significant one.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!