Subject: [Leica] was photography, now good bye :(
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:51:50 -0800

Good day lads and lasses,

As some of you know I've been away from the machine here, burning film in
California as an escape from nearly 4 months of rain and black bottomed
overcast. It doesn't matter how positive you are about shooting in rain,
but day after day it does get to you. So we escaped to the beaches of
Carmel and San Diego sunshine.

Shot over 60 rolls of colour slide and half dozen B&W.  As usual when
shooting  non - working real time paying assignments, the number of keepers
are down on first look yesterday.  I'll hard edit and drop a bunch in file
13!

If one is on holiday the mind/eye isn't usually as sharp as working on paid
projects where every frame "MUST COUNT!"  Too easy to "happy snap" without
much thought other than just reacting to new things.

Had time to see one LUGGER along the way, Donal Philby in SD, but even that
was cut short due to other demands. I missed shaking hands with Jim Brick,
had lots to jaw about with him, but again shooting when we had good
sunshine burned-up days too quickly.  And there were a number of others
going down the western coast and states I would have liked to meet. Sorry,
next time.

>allan jay silver wrote:
>> 	How about it, you LUGGERS?  Are you able to create quality work with
>> rudimentary equipment, or are you too deeply welded into the Leica M's and
>> R's and the high quality Leica lenses.  This is where they separate the men
>> from the boys.>>>>>>>

Interesting topic. However, the equipment doesn't matter a whit if you
can't see photographically!  If you see interesting images when you are
working with a box camera you will have interesting photography, the only
difference will be the "reproductive quality on film and the printed image."

The only thing any camera does is record what you the photographer are
motivated by, be that Leica or any of the whiz bang auto everything super
point and shoot Canon, Nikon or whatever.

How often do we hear "well if I owned one of those _professional cameras_
I'd  take great pictures like any of those guys in the magazines!
Nonsense! We all know that's just plain old hogwash and the camera and
lenses only record what the photographer sees and reacts to....be that
using a box camera or smashing great Leica.

And anyone who thinks other wise doesn't know what they're talking about.

If you can't see light and content, the two motivating factors in making
any photograph, you wont likely take good pictures with any camera.

There is a greater challenge in using the fine equipment of today than
those wonderful old box cameras that many of our father's took the family
Sunday pictures many years ago.

What sorts the "boys from the men" is not the equipment, but the sharpness
of the eye in the photographers head! And that's not a thing one can
challenge, as you can't buy the natural talent some folks have.

Unfortunately this will be my last post to the LUG, however I'll drop by
once in awhile to see how you folks are doing.  The pressure from my agent
to complete my next book demands I "work more" and "play less on the LUG!"
Damn they're all Regimental sgt.majors around here! :)

I can only say it has been a wonderful experience this past three years,
I've learned a tremendous amount even though I've been a published
photographer since 17 September 1951. Each week there was always something
new.  Even when it got hot and heavy on non-Leica topics, I learned
something new.

I'm a better photographer due to the post exchanges with so many of you.
And to those I've had the privilege to personally shake your hand after
only a name on the screen, that hand shake has been extra special in making
a new friend with a face.

So for now my friends of the LUG family I bid you adieu.

kindest regards,

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant