Subject: Re: [Leica] M Small Viewfinder comments
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:04:18 -0500

At 09:23 AM 1999-03-17 EST, Joe Zarick wrote:
>I was sorry to see Marc Small's comments about the current issue of the LHSA
>Viewfinder.  His complimentary remarks about the issue did not outweigh his
>poor taste and near slander of two fellow LHSA members. These two, Roy
Moss in
>particular, have spent countless hours (without compensation)  in LHSA work.
>Comments and corrections, about and of, Viewfinder articles are in order,
>however, Ad Hominem remarks are not. I think apologies are in order.

Joe

Apologies are NOT in order:  my comments are hardly ad hominem attacks of
any sort, but, rather, are valid criticisms of the work of Moss and
Gilcreast.  Moss DOES work hard, but he fails to complete the loop, and
should have articles refereed to prevent the constant inclusion of error
which has marred every single issue of VIEWFINDER he has edited.
Gilcreast's many articles on specific lenses have been excellent, but his
articles on sharpness are simply not supportable technically:  both are
filled with supposition, rumour, and false statements.

I have corresponded with Gilcreast on his earlier writings and with Moss
extensively.  Moss's spin is that he isn't concerned over factual accuracy
and will rely on the author's expertise.  Well, I find this a chilling
response, as we are ALL capable of error -- I have published extensively,
but everything I have ever had run in any journal, and, certainly, both of
my books, have been read and reviewed at length by others to minimize this
sort of error before they were submitted for publication.  Moss should
ensure that VIEWFINDER articles are similarly reviewed.

VIEWFINDER is a magazine highly regarded for its technical accuracy.  That
is why the constant inclusion of mistakes and mis-statements is so damned
annoying.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!