Subject: Re: [Leica] answers??Darkroom secrets, LONG
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 23:15:06 -0500

 Mark,
I assume that the Zone System was Minor Whites name for controlled
development of film so that it could be printed on the papers of limited
contrast range available in the days of yore.
A method I used, and have been teaching Bob Bedwell, is a variation on that.
I settle on a developer and film combination, then determine the development
that gives me about a 1.50 density range in the negative between a white
card and a black card which I use for that purpose.
To get the print I want, I cut about two sheets of paper into 5 2x8 inch
strips; I expose each, with a Kodak Step Tablet over the strip at a set
time- on his enlarger, about 60 seconds, with the enlarging lens aperture
set to the middle setting. I write what contrast grade each was printed
with, develop them wash, dry and inspect each, noting the number of steps
between dead black and dead white.
I then use my meter like a densitometer, and put the step that just prints
shadow detail over the probe, and zero the meter. This on my meter is on the
white light switch setting of a Beseler analyzer. This is the reading that
regardless of enlargement, gives me a 'shadow detail'. When I read that
poart of the negative, I adjust the lens aperture to get the meter to zero.
If I have to stop down too far, or open up too much, I can make adjustments
in time- either cutting in half, or doubling.
I do this for each of the strips, and write down the meter setting for each
grade for use when I print.
When I read a negative, I place the probe under the thinnest portion that
shows detail, and zero the meter. I then place the probe under the area with
highlight detail, and take a reading. This gives me a basic measure of the
density range of the negative.
Now, since each step of the Kodak Step Tablet represents a density change of
about .15,  I then divide the range of my negative by .!5, and pick a paper
grade ( represented by my test strips I did earlier) and chose one that
matched most closely.
The negative Bob wanted to try first had a range of 1.20, so that's about
eight steps- which the no. two grade paper showed.
So composing the negative in the easel, the measuring the detail in the
shadow, ajusting the aperture until the meter zeroed, and the white light
knob set at the pre-calculated point, I opened the aperture until the needle
zeroed. ( To incerease the range of this meter, we zeroed on the far right
end of the scale giving us a 2.00 range to work with.
I exposed the paper, and Bob was amazed that we got a very nearly perfect
print, the first try!
My explanation is that too many people depend on arcane metering techniques,
and come to cherish $400 meters, then go into a darkroom and burn a lot of
paper trying to get the perfect print! Paper is a lot more expensive per
'shot' than film, so I use this modified method of the Zone System- in the
darkroom rather than in the camera.
I have found that if you get the development of the film consistant, then
usually the brightness range of the scene will give you a negative density
range that is printable on multicontrast paper.
There are exceptions, but you can usually see them coming (Photographing in
the desert at high noon, on the beach, snow- where adjusting your
development can help)- but that is a nother lesson!
Suffice it to say, Bob was thrilled to find a fairly rational method that
didn't require a lot of mumbo-jumbo, or darkroom voodoo to get a decent
print.
We hope to continue our lesson, this week!
Bask in the light!
Dan