Subject: Re: [Leica] answers??Darkroom secrets, LONG
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:38:54 -0500

Thanks for setting me straight there; I read the Minor White book- a
smallish yellow paperback that eventually fell apart, I read it so much!
I briefly read Adams' books, but in view of the current discussion, I should
get them and re-read them.
I did say that a consistant time and temperature routine for film
development was for most 'normal' situations unless one shoots in
eitherextremely high contrast situations, or extremely low contrast
situations. It is obvious that one cannot get the 'perfect' negative with
all lighting conditions, and the same dvelopment time and temperature,
though it goes a long way to eliminate intervening variables. True, a
compensating developer helps- which is why I use Rodinal and Diafine so
much!
I daresay some would find my methods tedious and pedantic, but they work for
me, and any system is usually better than no system at all!- The important
thing is, I suppose, some sort of order in what you do. It is certainly a
must when you're shooting, as well as when you print... Am I telling this to
the guy who charges out into the morning light in his pyjamas, blazing away
with his 'M'?  :o)~
Dan