Subject: Re: [Leica] G system and Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:28:48 -0800

Alan Ball wrote:

> Mark,
snip
> The G remains a very unique and puzzling system. Wonder if it will ever
> evolve ? At the end of the day, it only needs a more sophisticated AF
> sensor system or an optical rangefinder backup/control system. And f1.4
> lenses.
> Alan
snip just read the link you gave us for the first time. Who wrote it?
Tom A?
> > I'm almost positive Erwin has mentioned the Contax G lenes in his
> articles.
> > Mark Rabiner
I believe the imminent G3 will have a zoom lens to work with it. I
believe Leica knew this wherefore the Tri Elmar. When zoom rangefinder
interchangeable lens cameras come out there will of course be a chunk of
Leica Die hard enthusiasts who will be unable to resist the convenience.
Go figure. I believe this:
I you take a shot of a tree in your backyard with TMax 100 film using
antiexpresso tripod and blow it up maybe 11x14 and hang it on your wall
with a G lens it will look great, better than many or most Slr systems.
If you hang your printed to match M ASPH lens print next to it that
print will look more than great; it will have a choir of angles singing
SATB in the background.
If someone would care to do this for us and it is not the case I will
gladly eat crow, and make that extra crispy.
Mark Rabiner