Subject: [Leica] Leica R
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 21:45:22 -0500

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Terry wrote:

>Does Leica manufacture extension tubes for the R fixed focal length and
>zoom lenses? I've seen no mentioning of same in Leica's literature and
>in books. If  they don't, whose tubes are compatible? Thanks!
>
>Terry

The Macro-Adapter-R, # 14256, is a 30mm auto-aperture extension tube with
meter coupling.  It works with all R-bodies in manual-exposure and
aperture-priority modes but I don't know about shutter-priority or program
modes.  The 14256 does not fit on the Leicaflex cameras without
modification.  I've modified mine by replacing the R-only bayonet ring with
a Leicaflex-compatible bayonet mount (from the 60 macro's 1:1 tube).

On the Leicaflex SL/SL2 bodies the modified 14256 retains the auto-aperture
function but metering is stop-down only, and on the Leicaflex Standard, you
get just the auto-aperture function.

The 14158/14159 (I think?) extension ring set is a two-part extension ring
with a semi-auto-aperture feature; you can add additional intermediate
rings for more extension.

IMHO the 14256 is grossly over-priced and the R-only bayonet is stupid and
I like mine anyway, particularly after having fixed the R-only problem.

Doug Herr
Sacramento