Subject: RE: [Leica] I missed it.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:30:23 -0600

At 03:45 PM 3/31/99 +0200, you wrote:
>The
>absence of eye contact makes it more difficult for the viewer to relate to
>the people that are being photographed

Direct eye contact stops the action. Stops any kind of real  life that
could have been communicated by the photograph. It says "Hey, I'm being
photographed." It has little to do with the life of the person.

I'm not under the delusion that somehow magically a person is not aware of
the camera. But when a person gets on with their life, the pictures becomes
more communicative in a way that portraits never are. It tells us something
about the person's life, and transcends just telling us what they look
like, or what objects are in their environment.

For sure, as you say, it's not easy to do, and the best work is done by
masters. But this is the life blood of photojournalism. Which is where
Leica Ms are the most desired camera around. (For those of us who aren't
married to fill flash, but low-light candid photojournalism/documentary
photography. Portraits are often static, easy to do compared to real life
documentary photography.

Any "connection" to the person is an illusion anyway. Kind of like people
who look at pictures and move around the room and say "their eyes are
following me." Of course they are, it's a two-dimensional picture. They're
in a three-dimensional world. Photography's real strength is informing the
viewer. Might as well get beyond surfaces and with the use of photos and
words, inform people as much as possible.

Maybe the message that started this topic isn't directly related to the
direction I'm taking, though. If their goal is to do portraits where there
is eye contact, and they are just too shy to approach the subject, then you
are right. The picture will be strengthened by eye contact. Some times. I
don't think there is a formula, or principal that applies in all
situations. I find some portraits, where they are looking off somewhere,
are very powerful. That's for portraits. I wasn't talking about portraits.
I'm talking about photos of people in the act of being themselves. That's
where eye contact kills the photo.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

What is the probability that something will happen according to the odds?