Subject: [Leica] Eye Contact
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 07:43:09 -0600

At 07:40 AM 4/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
>The main issue is the relationship between the picture and its
>viewers: that is where the picture justifies itself and comes to life. The
>photographer is an intermediate step between the subject and the viewer.

Though the first part is true, the latter attitude is an odious example of
where the publishing industry is today. Editors too often don't care about
the photographers. They are interchangeable commodities. There isn't
anything important in style of the photographer. The context of who the
photographer is in terms of that person's ability to produce a body of work
that moves the reader.

No, it's a simple formula, like eye contact makes better pictures. Or means
a connection. That's too easy, too simple approach to reading photographs.

Too many editors and illustrators THINK they save photographers with
creative caption writing. It's hogwash. For example, in Time this past
week, on their web site, there was a picture of the streets in a city in
Kosovo that was an obvious time exposure. The automobile lights were long
streaks on the street. There were streaks of light in the sky. They were
parallel with the curvature of the earth, so they obviously were stars. But
the "creative" caption writer called them missile tracers. Yep, the editor
sure saved that one.

And this is not uncommon. Look at the recent issues of LIFE magazine, or
the new National Geographic Adventure magazine. Talk about a lack of
respect by editors and illustrators for photos! They're "design" elements.
That's the future of this industry in magazines.

It takes a very talented photographer to make pictures that move the
reader. Either to laugh, cry, or do something to change the world. It has
NOTHING to do with eye contact one way or the other. Each individual photo
has to be judged on its own merit.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.