Subject: Re: [Leica] Eye Contact
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 18:49:53 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> It takes a very talented photographer to make pictures that move the
> reader. Either to laugh, cry, or do something to change the world.

True, and even with talent, it often takes time, something few if any
modern mags are going to pay for.  So, since there isn't time for great
pix, they look for the photographers who can do cross processing, use
funny light, or warp the focus, anything to create enough graphic
interest to mask the lack of substance.

Is anyone "moved" by the images in Details magazine??

As an interesting aside (or parallel track), I have friends involved in
the adult photo biz and they say the demand is huge for "amateur"
looking photos.  The mags and web sites  want pix of "real" looking
models, shot with flash on camera, over exposed a little (no pun
intended).

Maybe the amateur demand is a response to a mall-cultured, mass
marketed, franchised, cookie cutter world of slick, mass produced
products and media (Playboy, Sit-Coms) and experience (Disneyland).

With mainstream magazines I think it is simply budget and a generation
(increasingly in position of editorial power) who have grown up with MTV
as the dominant cultural role model.

The owner of a major news/photo agency this week told me he was having
difficulty with assignment work because most editors/photoeditors are
under 30 and want to work with 20 year olds with "fresh" vision, but few
20 year olds have the maturity and experience to produce day in day out
as professionals, and haven't a clue how to shoot for a trade magazine
that needs a straight photo.

Soon we're gonna have to reduce mandantory retirement to 32 years old.

Grab your cane Eric and shuffle on outta there!

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego