Subject: Re: [Leica] Eye Contact
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 16:01:30 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >         I, for one, am now starting to run up against 20-something art
> > directors and account execs who DO NOT have the professional experience and
> > maturity to be doing their jobs.
> snip
> They are paste-up artists calling themselves Art Directors. They've
> perfected the use of wax rollers and Xacto knives and now they are
> telling us what film and format to shoot
> Then they mark up our contact sheets.
"
Mark, I think they would ask, " what are wax rollers and Xacto knives?"
I've done layouts that way, but few young people know that system, only
computers.  they wouldn't know how to spec type and have it fit by
counting.  But they don't have to anymore.  My problem is not with the
technology, but with the cult of the young that usually leads to
childish material.  These are people who have perfected the techniques
of Quark and photoshop, but haven't the years and life experience to
perfect the art.  And with such short attention spans they couldn't find
the great photo on the contact sheet.

Much of this, I assume, is driven by budget.  Kids are cheap.  But give
them authority they haven't really earned and still they think they must
have the answers.  In times past we would begin things when we were
young and thought we had all the answers, but we were restricted to
junior positions long enough to finally realize we didn't.  No so today.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego