Subject: Re: [Leica] RE; DISCREETNESS
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 09:40:43 -0500

snips from various messages on this subject

>>there was an old Nigerian woman in tribal garb who did not like to have
>>her picture taken.  So I stood directly in front of her, pointed the 300
>>f 2,8 in her face, and my friend was at an angle to her, when I got her
>>attention he got the shot.

snip

>>Ironically, I have found that I don't like it when I see a tourist
>>pointing a video camera at me !!

snip

>>How many of us feel that it is now getting more difficult to even take
>>street photographs without arousing suspicion, fear, anger, or even threat
>>of bodily harm from the subjects?   What are your ways of overcoming these
>>barriers?

snip

>>I am one of those kind of people that I just
>>to shoot and do not really want to answer a lot of questions.

snip

>>If you go sneaking around with a camera looking suspicious, you get
>>what you ask for...

What happened to politeness? Why assault people? I agree if you walk up
to someone (especially the wrong one) and jab your camera in their face
you might get more than a picture. Maybe those reluctant subjects just
want to walk around and not be photographed, like you not wanting to
answer a lot of questions.

Respectfully,
Henry Ambrose
My first post here, starting things off with a bang!