Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Coolscan and VueScan 1.4 imaging software
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 13:45:49 -0500

>At 12:54 PM 07/04/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>I have a hard time taking seriously any imaging software that only
>>supports Windows. A majority of professionals do their work on Macs.
>>Anyway, those with cash to spare should look at Silverfast's scanning
>>software. It's the best I've ever seen.
>>

>        Don't be so quick to make that statement these days.
>
>I long ago dumped MAC for professional use.
>
>Just as one example, Reuters News Agency switched to ALL Toshiba laptops for
>their photographers and reporters a few years back. I hear AP is following
>suit this year.
>
>There are a few reasons for this, some of which are reliability, network and
>cross-platform compatibility and diversity of software make it possible for
>one machine to serve many functions.
>
>They even went so far as to have a custom software package written for image
>distribution.
>
>We still have a few people using MACs in our operation, but....
>
>If you have to run your graphics machines on a network or have to transfer
>files between different operating systems you are asking for serious
>headaches.
>
>Computers are tools, not religion. WHY BOTHER!
>
>Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@picturedesk.org

Just because large organizations dump Macs for PCs doesn't mean that
they're "better"

I promise you that Macs are more "cross-platform compatible" right out of
the box. Networking is not a factor either. Unless you're trying to
interface some cludgy windows program thats not made to work with
anything else. As for files between machines, its simply a matter of
deciding on a common format.

In the larger prepress world  Macs do the vast majority of design and
image processing. This does not mean that PCs can't. Its just that Macs
did it better earlier. They are the standard.

If a "PC only" person is your MIS manager you're gonna get PCs jammed in
your throat, but not because they're better.

I strongly suggest that any individual desiring to enter the digital
imaging world look at how most experienced folks do it.  you'll most
likely see Macs at their finger tips. Heck, Mac users had a graphical
user interface when PCers were still looking at green word processor
screens and typing in DOS prompts.

Computers are tools. Some are just better tools for some jobs.
Kind of like an M6 and an F5.

If you want to do imaging work buy a MAC.

Henry Ambrose