Subject: [Leica] Re: Capa and the Wide Angle Lens
From: DenizSaylan.Foto@t-online.de (D.Saylan)
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 17:34:09 +0200

Hi Marc,

it is a personal thing to let people get close. When somebody doesnīt
like it, so normaly the others respect that. I do. You canīt say that
wide angle is always better than tele lens, but for my way of
photography, I like the wide angle perspective more. The other thing is,
that most of the people let me get close to them, maybe because I have
something symphatetic on me. Iīm shure YOU would let me get close, too.
I always ask, at least with a unmisunderstandable look to my objekt.
I did that also in former times, when I worked with Nikon F2 and F3, but
I had often problems, because people feel offended. Since I work with my
Leica M, I have seldom any problems. I think, it has something to do
with the different look of the cameras. The Nikon is huge and offensive,
especially when you have the motordrive on it. The Leica M looks tiny
and soft and defensive. I doesnīt look lika a professional tool and
peple let me work without paying attention seriously. Just at Friday I
was in a Lunapark, doing some photo essay on the atmosphere of that
park. I was sometimes laying on the flor in the middle of the crowd. The
people were just amused and let me take pictures, very close of course
and helped me even when I asked them to hold on and not to move and so
on...

But it is always a special kind of communication between the
photographer and the     subject.

Cheers,

Deniz