Subject: Re: [Leica] Problem with M6 scratching film
From: Gareth Jolly <gareth.jolly@minters.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 13:36:13 +1000

Robert Stevens wrote:

>  Why would an Australian Leica user send this complaint to
Leica USA?  Do  they own the Distributor in Australia?
Wouldn't the problem best be handled by the dealer you
bought it from?

Adeal is the Australian distributor.  I am not sure whether
they are owned by Leica or not, although the very fact that
they are not called 'Leica' makes me suspect they are at
best part owned by Leica.

The short answer is that I am sending the camera to Adeal to
fix, together with a description of the problem based on
everybody's posts.
The reason I sent the email to Leica USA and Germany as well
is because the problem with scratching film seems to be a
problem with a recent M6s, which in turns suggests a
production problem.  This is an issue which I believe should
be drawn to the manufacturer's attention direct, rather than
a distributor and authorised repairer such as Adeal.
Judging by other posts, the problem exists with M6s sold in
the US, as well.

>  For my two cents worth, all cameras leave fine scratches
on the backs ofnegatives.  If they don't, they get them in
handling.  Your M6 may be putting more than the usual there,
but I think the problem really is with  the light source of
your Nikon scanner.  Nikon scanners use LEDs which are a
very directional light source that will show up any flaw in
a negative.

It may be that Nikon scanners are more sensitive to
scratches, but I don't think that gets Leica off the hook.
And I think you take the logic one step too far, in saying
that the real problem is the light source of the scanner.

First, a significant proportion (perhaps up to 1/2) of my
Leica negatives show long scratches, extending almost the
length of the negative in many cases).  The Leica film
scratches are far more significant than the odd handling
scratch on other negatives.

Second, the reality is that a significant number of serious
photographers are using scanners these days.  Even if the
scratches don't show up in a dark room print (and I haven't
tested this yet) is that to the point?  Other cheaper
cameras don't leave scratches visible on scanners.  Why
should Leica M6s?

If scanners have changed the benchmark by which negatives
are judged, then so be it.  Camera manufacturers should move
with that benchmark.

In actuality, of course, that it's not a matter of Leica not
moving with new benchmarks set by scanners.  From what I
have seen from the list, the problem doesn't seem to exist
with older Leicas or with other brands of cameras.  If you
check the LUG archives, you will see that this issue of M6s
scratching film has only arisen in the last few months and
has been raised independently by at least 4 members of the
list - at least 3 of us not knowing of the other's previous
posts.

It all points to a recent production problem.

That's why I've raised it with Leica.

My last post on this subject until I can share some new
information.  This is getting a trifle tedious.

Cheers
Gareth