Subject: [Leica] How do you fit an OLLUX hood on a 35 Summilux?
From: "Simon Pulman-Jones" <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:30:55 +0100

Do any of you have experience of the early 35 Summilux with the
push-on/twist-off OLLUX hood? I have just got hold of a very early (1960)
chrome RF Summilux, and was lucky enough to find it with the hood as well.
Though very dirty the lens is in nice condition - the only thing that is
confusing me is that I can't see how to fit the hood so that it sits with
the correct horizontal orientation. The hood clips onto a bright steel ring
on the front of the lens, and this ring has a red dot for aligning the hood
when fitting it. The problem is that the red dot is sitting at approximately
a ten o'clock position when it looks as if it ought to be at the top of the
lens at a twelve o'clock position.

Am I missing something here? Does the ring on the end of the lens have to be
twisted into place with the hood? I'm reluctant to apply any force to it to
see whether it will twist. Is there any way or reason that this
hood-locating ring could have ended up in the wrong position?

I'd be very grateful if anybody could set me right on this.

Simon.