Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Nikon Coolscan and VueScan 1.4 imaging software
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 15:05:50 -0200

At 12:54 PM 07/04/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have a hard time taking seriously any imaging software that only
>supports Windows. A majority of professionals do their work on Macs.
>Anyway, those with cash to spare should look at Silverfast's scanning
>software. It's the best I've ever seen.

        Don't be so quick to make that statement these days.

I long ago dumped MAC for professional use.

Just as one example, Reuters News Agency switched to ALL Toshiba laptops for
their photographers and reporters a few years back. I hear AP is following
suit this year.

There are a few reasons for this, some of which are reliability, network and
cross-platform compatibility and diversity of software make it possible for
one machine to serve many functions.

They even went so far as to have a custom software package written for image
distribution.

We still have a few people using MACs in our operation, but....

If you have to run your graphics machines on a network or have to transfer
files between different operating systems you are asking for serious headaches.

Computers are tools, not religion. WHY BOTHER!

Greg Locke                           E-Mail: locke@picturedesk.org
St. John's, Newfoundland             http://www.straylight.ca/locke
(Newfoundlanders... a people who voted themselves out of existence)

- --------------------- PictureDesk International -------------------
Available at PRESSLINK ONLINE           http://www.presslink.com