Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Film Scratching
From: "Gareth Jolly" <garethjolly@bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 19:59:33 +1000

Sorry, last post on topic until I have more info.

We have over 10 recently purchased (i.e last 6 months) new M6s scratching on
my reckoning - that's including LUGers who have, or have tried, more than 1
body.  My guess is - even with the size of this list - that that is a
statistically significant number of new M6s purchased on the list.

Few people buy Leicas unless they are experienced and keen photographers
(either that or speculators, I suppose).  The quality of posts raising this
problem are a testament to that.

I think the list should give those raising the problem their due.  We are
not imagining it.  Nor falsely attributing cause.  The last place I wanted
to lay blame was my new, and already beloved, Leica.

No-one is saying that Leica's are not great cameras.  They clearly are.  Nor
that all Leicas scratch film - it seems to be only some (and I emphasize,
some) very recent M6s.  Perhaps a particular production run of pressure
plates.

And, interestingly enough, I think that most of the users with the problem
are Leica converts despite the scratching.  I know I am.

I am thirsting to get my hands back on my M6 minus scratching problem.  And
posting, or reading, the email dispatching this problem once and for all.

Gareth Jolly