Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Advertising, was How could the R8 be bettered?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:03:50 -0500

At 07:11 AM 4/15/99 -0700, you wrote:
> I think much was thought along
>the same lines when George Fisher took over Kodak.

As usual we disagree. Fisher has destroyed support for professionals. No
matter how Kodak protests, they don't do things for professionals nearly as
well as they did before. Their R&D budgets are way lower, and they can't
make an 800 speed film that can touch Fuji except in speed. The color is awful.

They've screwed Kodachrome, when it's something they could have turned into
a product no one else can compete. They sold off their labs to Qualex, with
turned out to be the antithesis of what they promised it would be (quality
and better service).

What has Kodak done? A few good films? Yep. Some really cool chrome films
have come out recently, after Fuji kicked their butts for years. They have
the best digital cameras around. But overall, I'd say the bean counters
killed them with their forays into Photo CD and other fiascoes.

Of course, this is simply my opinion. A very definitely disappointed fan of
Kodachrome, when it was king. And disappointed they have pulled back so far
on their real support of pros in the field.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

My computer's sick. I think my modem is a carrier.