Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Shutter accuracy?
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 10:33:40 EDT

Until the last few years the Leica cameras and lenses were really tops and
almost everyone was very loyal and protective of Leica.  Now, since the "bean
counters" were placed in charge of Leica, it appears Leica quality and
quality control has depreciated to the point that persons who have no
"quality control" training are find more and more factory defects that should
have been caught at the factory.

I now wonder what Leica USA does in regard to protecting USA customers.  Does
Leica USA at least select a certain number of samples from each shipment and
give the statistical sample a good examination for such items as focusing
mechanism, shutter specifications, pressure plate, winding mechanism, and
light meter or are the cameras just passed directly to the dealer and then
the customer?

Someone posted a message advising that the great majority of Leica "prints"
are "scanned" rather than enlarger printed.  Could some of those who are
"scanning" their prints enlighten us in regard to the quality provided by
"scanning" versus prints from Tech Pan or Kodachrome negatives enlarged using
Focomats, Durst L1200's or other really good enlargers with APO enlarging
lenses.  It may be that "scanning" does not do justice to high quality camera
equipment so there is no need for Leica to provide equipment that so awesome
that prints and slides from Leica equipment is discernible with the eye from
the equipment of other manufacturers.  As I recall, during the early 60's
Leica had a vision that photographers were becoming very lazy and preferred
to have the corner drug store process and print Kodacolor so the resolution
of the lenses was dropped to enable the contrast level to be increased since
contrast, not resolution, was the ticket for Kodacolor.  Maybe this
cheapening of the manufacturing process is the natural progression of this
march toward mediocrity.

The LUG net has also had some posts regarding the quality of Leica brochures
and other publicity photos.  One of the Leica M-6 brochures sent to me
contained only one photo that was photographically "sharp" while the balance
appeared to be nothing more than out-of-focus and blurred snapshots that
could be snapped with any of the current $50 throwaways.  From side-by-side
comparisons, we know the Leica rangefinder cameras and lenses are capable of
giving the 2 1/4 square cameras a run for their money if handled properly
both in the field and the resulting negatives properly processed and printed.
 Why can't Leica Germany revise its marketing strategy to reflect that which
may be accomplished with a fine rangefinder camera and lenses?  If Leica
Germany cannot show why photographers may secure greater benefits from Leica
cameras and lenses than cameras and lenses costing many less, what is the
incentive for very many people to purchase their products?  Isn't it possible
for Leica Germany to ask Leica camera users to submit some really sharp
negatives or prints, if Leica German photographers cannot supply them, for
the purpose of showing what Leica cameras and lenses are capable of
producing.  Hasselblad promotional literature just blows away the stuff that
Leica Germany distributes.  There is no reason that Leica Germany cannot
compete with that type of quality and thus indicate to the prospective buyer
there is a reason, indeed, to purchase Leica equipment.

The answer may be there really is not a demand for really top quality 35 mm
camera equipment in today's market and we are just beating a dead horse.

Further, it may be shortsighted of us to disparage those persons who buy
Leica cameras and lenses but only sit in a leather den chair and fondle their
expensive purchases.  I have a sneaking hunch that if it were not for those
persons who just like to own what they think is the best, there might not be
enough of a demand for the Leica product to keep the factory open in Solms.
Please, let's not discourage potential Leica camera owners just because they
do not make a living through photography.

The bottom line is we need to encourage Leica Germany to regain its quality
control and manufacturing edge so the Leica owner really does possess the
finest camera equipment that can be produced.  An extra $100.00 is not the
make or breaking point since you can thumb through the photo magazines and
note the various dealers are selling the same Leica items for prices that
vary at least $100.00 and these same dealers have been doing this for years.
If an extra $100.00 per camera body or lens is required to do the job right,
it is my belief persons who will pay $2000.00 for a camera body and the same
or more for a lens, will gladly pay the extra $100.00 to insure that he or
she is truly receiving the finest that can be produced.