Subject: [Leica] FW: ways to improve bw puter prints
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 08:21:54 -0500

"4. there seems to be something about the detail you can capture in a
darkroom print in subtle ways which does not seem to be present in my
computer prints."

What I would suggest you do, is after you scan your photos, you convert the
black and white image from greyscale to RGB. You can do this in your imaging
program.  This will give you more tonality as your printer will use all of
its inks.  Sounds silly, but it works.  You may want to try it.

Also what type of paper are you using?  I myself use Epson Photo Paper, even
though I use a Lexmark 7200.

My scans are usually at least 200 dpi with the longest dimension being 10
inches.  You may want to try even 250 dpi with the beforementioned
dimensions.

Although the resulting  prints will not have the black and white feel, I
think if you print as an RGB you will be closer.

Right now my only darkroom is the computer as I still have some basement
work to do to set up my Leitz Focomat V35 that has been in storage for 5
years.   Real prints are indeed a joy to behold.  I do consider myself a
master printer as I did win the Kodak Gallery Award for my expertise in
making the photo and printing it.  Good prints do require lots care.   I do
want to get back into making black and white prints again, as we have not
done so at work for several years now.  I still think black and white prints
will always look better on your wall than a computer print of the same
image.  On the other hand, however, the color prints you can get out of a
new epson photo printer, is better than we get out of a $15,000 Seiko
Colorpoint 2 dye sub printer at work, providing you use Epson photo paper.

I just wonder what the printers will be like just a few years from now.  To
keep the prints longer we spray them with a UV inhibitor photo spray....just
like the portrait studios do.  The sprays do work!

gck