Subject: Re: [Leica] Pulizer and being there
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:46:59 -0700

Summicron1@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 4/25/99 7:03:32 AM, you wrote:
snip A guy who had an auto everything camera with
> >built-in flash was walking down the street,  he got the shot.  He has
> >been nominated for the Pulizer.  I met this young man and his attitude
> >is "If I aint gonna get no money what is the big deal."  I have a lot of
> >friends that have paid their dues, and worked there butts off and have
> >never even been considered.
> >
> >John n3bvh
...couldn't agree more. The Pulitzer, like all journalism prizes, is
mostly
about being in the right place at the right time or, as we say in the
business, "covering the correct presidential motorcade." If they gave
awards
for hard work that contributes to the daily appearance of the paper our
librarian would have had a pulitzer years ago.
> Charles Trentelman
snip

The "being there" award! How appropriate is that?
Not the diligent librarian sorting books till the cows come home.
It's the jerk with the sureshot up at 5:30 out there shooting those cows!
"F8 and be there" has relevance and resonance well past the days of the
Jimmy Olsen Speed Graphics it seems. It doesn't say which camera and it
doesnt' say if that F8 can't be arrived by setting on Auto.

In the last Month I've had an Early Morning sun up walk as part of my
weekly regular schedule.
Am I getting a few more shots? My M6 has been getting quite a few more
miles put on it.
And not only has it been on my person but it has been in hand.
But just as when I leave in the morning with my umbrella the chances of
rain are minimalized...
when I leave with my camera I think it scares away those first
encounters of the third kind.
Nothing bloody dropping from the sky!
But what the hey! The light has been good. I'm glad I'm out there!!!!!
Mark Rabiner