Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica quality MF system ?
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 11:52:50 -0700

I wish to thank all who have responded so far.

Back in the 60's, when working as a commercial photographer, I had a 500C
Hasselblad body and 60, 80, 150, 250 lenses, and a SWC. There was no such
thing as CF, CM, T*, etc. I liked the system, but it has been soooo long
"and" there are so many new systems and lenses available, I currently have
no way of discussing MF. I have two commercial/fine art friends (Sherman
Hines and John  Gavrillis) that use the Pentax 6x7 as their MF choice.

Sherman uses Contax RTS for 35 and the Pentax 6x7. John uses a 4x5 Linhof
Master Technika as LF, and the Pentax 6x7 as MF. John has a Leica R7 and a
21mm SA as a record camera (record where I am, what's here, etc...) When I
asked them why they don't use Hasselblad, they replied that they like the
rectangular format and there is more film area available with 6x7 over 6x6
or 6x4.5 .

So you see, I can tell anyone what works for me in 35 and 4x5, as I use
Leica (Leica lenses) and Linhof (Schneider, Rodenstock, and Nikkor lenses),
but MF now seems like such a grey area.

Anyone out there with Pentax 6x7 experience? Rollei 600x experience?

I should add that the reason this MF question came up, was because the
participant saw some of my 30x40 Ciba's, which look as real as life. We
discussed that my originals are 4x5 Velvia and that there was no way to
accomplish this feat from 35mm, regardless of any tricks you might use. So
the topic of MF came about. LF wasn't an option. I couldn't answer if MF
could produce 20x24, 30x40, 40x50, etc... prints that could compete with
4x5. It's been exactly 34 years since I have taken a MF image.

I could go to the Rollei list, or Hasselblad list, but get biased answers.
By asking you folks, Leica users, I already know where your mind is for
quality and sharpness. And your experience outside of the 35mm world is
valuable.

Thanks again,

Jim