Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica R9 err...Minolta 9 ;-) OFF TOPIC
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 09:09:01 -0500

At 03:29 PM 5/5/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Please refer to today's post by Erwin giving a little historical
>perspective to the birth of that rumour...

Erwin was mistaken on the source of that particular rumor. Maybe a parallel
one, but not this one. I never stated it was a fact. Just that someone who
deals with Leicas, and who deals with a Leica rep. made a positive
statement that he believes (how else could it be at this point?) is the
future. I was more positive on the fact that Leica has an AF camera coming.
Not that it WILL be based on the Maxxum 9. Just that it's possible that
some of the Maxxum 9 technology could be used.

To say that sharing speculation on what is the future of anything at Leica
will kill the R line is sophistry. If that was true, after the LUG's first
year Ricoh could have bought Leica. (Note rumor mongerers (mongrels?): I am
not saying this is going to happen, has happened or that I wish it would).

And don't criticize my communication skills. You're the one who acted like
Kansas is out in the middle of nowhere and couldn't possibly have any
factual information to share. Well, not the middle of Kansas. But the
turnip truck statement was taken in good sport, good for you.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It ain't so much the things you don't know that get you in trouble.
It's the things you know that just ain't so.  -- Artemus Ward