Subject: Re: [Leica]M6-TTL Opinions
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 07 May 1999 08:12:10 -0700

Alan Ball wrote:

> Mark,
> Doesn't your second sentence here contadict the 1st one ? In what way can
> the flash sensor be 'easier to deal with' than TTL flash management ? I use
> the SF20 with an 'old' M6, and find it works very well in A mode (choice of
> 3 apertures), but TTL would obviously be more 'idiotensicher'...
> Alan
>
> On vendredi 7 mai 1999 6:00, Mark Rabiner [SMTP:mrabiner@concentric.net]
> wrote:
> > ...snip....
> > The one on front of the flash itself works fine and can
> > in some ways be easier to deal with.
> > I used to get 5 or 6 not perfect exposures with regular A on the flash
> > sensing per 36 roll. 1 or 2 with TTL. But the ones that were off were
> > not off by much.

Off the top of my head if you're using a flash on Auto and you want to
bracket you just bracket your F stops. If you want to bracket on TTL and
you fool with the autocompensation dial or whatever it's called it's
usually harder to get to and you have to work out if this is
compensating the auto exposure  in your camera. You loose the
relationship between your flash and your ambient light. Eventually you
can figure it out but I find working in auto the relationships and
workings are more obvious. That helps if a period goes by when you don't
use it and you have to remind yourself what your system is. For me; like now.
On the long run for a serious and consistant user, TTL is the way to go.
I gets the shot everytime.
Mark Rabiner