Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo-Telyt-M 3.4/135
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 09 May 1999 07:46:38 +0200

Mark,

I also have this lens and am very happy with it. I tried it at Photokina in
September and decided right then and there that I had to have it. It showed up in
Belgian shops in November, and I got one of the very first ones sold here. It is
indeed a wonderful lens, and the 135mm focal length is eminently usable. However, as
Erwin says, to take full advantage of it the photographer must be willing to upgrade
his technique as well...So I have become more disciplined about hand-holding and
shoot either at 1/250 or faster or use a monopod which I always carry in my car. As
opposed to a tripod, the monopod is light enough to take on a walk in the forest or
in the city (in the latter case it also helps protect the camera, lens, and wallet
;-)

Nathan

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> I am studying some negs I just developed in Xtol 1:2 from Delta 400 film
> shot with the Apo-Telyt-M 3.4/135 as it says on the lens and they are
> street shots, buildings, cars, bridges on the light table using various loupe's.
> I never thought telephoto photography could look like this! Does not
> look like a Nikon Zoom! Does not look like any 90. True telephoto hand
> held shots at a new level. Hasselblad would need a very large tripod to
> get images this defined! It would be fun to test it against one of those
> 250 Zeiss Apo's for Hasselblad.  Or would it have to be a 350? Are they
> going for 5 grand now? This Telyt fits my lifestyle and shooting style
> both. Eventually this lens will "catch on" and be as desirable as a 24! IMHO!
> Seldom have I had such a thrill looking at negs on a light table!
> Anybody else having fun with this hot new item?
> Mark Rabiner
> Something you can Germophile your teeth on!

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium

General photo page:  http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator/index.html