Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo-Telyt-M 3.4/135
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 1999 23:44:21 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Mark,
>
> I also have this lens and am very happy with it. I tried it at Photokina in
> September and decided right then and there that I had to have it. It showed up in
> Belgian shops in November, and I got one of the very first ones sold here. It is
> indeed a wonderful lens, and the 135mm focal length is eminently usable. However, as
> Erwin says, to take full advantage of it the photographer must be willing to upgrade
> his technique as well...So I have become more disciplined about hand-holding and
> shoot either at 1/250 or faster or use a monopod which I always carry in my car. As
> opposed to a tripod, the monopod is light enough to take on a walk in the forest or
> in the city (in the latter case it also helps protect the camera, lens, and wallet
> ;-)
>
> Nathan
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> > I am studying some negs I just developed in Xtol 1:2 from Delta 400 film
> > shot with the Apo-Telyt-M 3.4/135 as it says on the lens and they are
> > street shots, buildings, cars, bridges on the light table using various loupe's.
> > I never thought telephoto photography could look like this! Does not
snip
I have a nice Bogen Monopod I could try out with this lens. Also tripods
which I don't shy from. They free me instead of tie me down as most
people view them. I usually shoot Tri X and this Delta 400 resolves
quite a bit better. I will use some Agfapan 25 with this lens soon. But
not with Rodinal. I'm giving Xtol a solid shot. Maybe 1:3 for extra definition.
And I find it eminatly hand holdable. A new crucial part of the Leica M
system. I think in the past the 135 could dispensed of off a complete M
system. Now it is indispensable as a solid not short tele. Or is it long
focus? I like to think I'm in on the forefront of a whole new aspect of
shooting Leica M!
Mark Rabiner